Guess What? Dye Plants! (DIGITAL DOWNLOAD)
The original Guessing Game, with a dyer's twist! Learn all about some common dye plants in this fun but challenging game.
Please note: this is a digital download only. You must print, cut, and arrange it in your own Guess Who system. It can be played as a card game without the game boards, but the sizing is formatted to fit the newer (post 2017 releases, available here) version of the game (see photos for clarification).
Two sets of 24 Dye Plant Cards
One set of 24 Mystery Cards
2 Plant Guides
- Print the game! Use thicker paper or cardstock if possible to increase durability. You will need:
- Two Copies of the Dye Plant Cards
- One Copy of the Mystery Cards
- Two copies of the Plant Guide
- Cut out the Dye Plant Cards and the Mystery Cards carefully along the lines.
- Slide a set of the Dye Plant Cards into the doors on your Guess Who game boards. The cards can be arranged in any order.
- Fold your Plant Guides into a mini booklet.
Ask clever questions to guess what dye plant your opponent is growing before they guess what you’re growing!
- Choose a game board and flip all the doors open.
- Shuffle the card deck and have each player choose one to place in the slot on their game board. Make sure your opponent doesn’t see it!
- Set the rest of the mystery cards aside, they won’t be used until a new game starts.
How to Play
The youngest player goes first, and players take turns asking a question.
On Your Turn:
- Ask a YES or NO question about your opponent’s mystery plant. For example: Is your plant a flower? Is it food waste? Does your plant contain anthocyanins? Is it a perennial? Is it fugitive?
- Based on your opponent’s answer, flip down plants on your gameboard to eliminate them. If your opponent says the plant does contain anthocyanins, flip down all the plants that don’t contain them.
- You’re now one step closer to guessing your opponent’s mystery character! Now it’s their turn to ask a question.
Guessing the mystery character:
When you think you know what your opponent’s dye plant is, make a guess on your next turn instead of asking a yes or no question. But don’t guess until you’re ready - if you guess wrong you lose the game!
Winning the Game
If you guess your opponent’s dye plant correctly, you win! If you guess incorrectly, your opponent wins.
Challenge your opponent to a series of games! Every time you win a game, slide the scorekeeper up one point. The first player to win five games is the dye flower champion!
How to be a good guesser:
Look carefully at the pictures and study the plant guide - what makes them similar or different? You can see traits like shape and color, but you will learn things like pigment nutrient content and lightfastness.